Monday, April 30, 2012

Resident or Citizen? Obamacare Training?

That is the question, "are you a Resident, or a Citizen?"
"Both" I replied.
"You can't be both."

When I went to the Department of Public Safety to renew my Drivers License, that was the exchange I had with the official when I explained I wanted to renew my DL registration.

When the official said "You can't be both," I thought for a bit and said "I'm a Citizen and I am a resident of Dallas Texas."

He then asked the obvious question, was I a US Citizen.

After that exchange he came up with a number, and a questionnaire to fill out.
Filing out the questionnaire which included such important questions as do I want to register to vote, do I want to donate to this or that, some relevant medical questions, and whether I live at a house, a motel, a shelter, etc.  (I can't remember if half-way house was one of the options).  I was also asked if I could communicate with officer, and some law abiding questions.

During my 2 hour wait near a family with 3 screaming kids and the lady barking out the assigned ID numbers and desk number to visit over the loud speaker which was confirmed by a display with number and desk. My number of 70 which started at 40 finally arrived.  Most of the chairs were filled, but I was able to find one near the kids.  There was 3 or 4 number sequences other than my 40-70.  No food or drinks allowed and of course if you want to smoke, you must stand or sit outside on the sidewalk.

Having some 2 hour "quality time" to kill, I was still puzzled about being either a Citizen, or a Resident.

If I am a Resident I must not be able to be a Citizen.  If I'm a Citizen, I must not be able to be a Resident.  Thinking they must have asked this question at least a 1000 times, I must be missing something.

I have not been able to explain it to myself, or the three outside people I asked for help.

The best I could come up with is The State is replacing "illegal" with "resident."
Be careful if you get stopped by a law officer when he asks if you are a "resident?"

Just wonder if Property Tax understands that a Citizen can't be a Resident, and if Voter Registration is aware a Resident can't vote?

Not only is the US in trouble, Texas is too.


No comments:

Post a Comment