Sunday, June 9, 2013

On September 12, 2001, Rush Warned America Not to Trade Freedom for Security

On September 12, 2001, I Warned America Not to Trade Freedom for Security - The Rush Limbaugh Show
My opening monologue September 12th of 2011. It went like this.
I've heard a number of media people throughout the course of the past day, the past 24 hours, refer to the possibility that we may have to tighten down some of our freedoms, that the age of innocence that is America is over and that we all now may have to join in some sort of sacrifice of our liberties and freedom in order to protect ourselves in the future. And I'm here to tell you right now that if anybody thinks that, I don't care if you're in the news media, I don't care if you're a member of the general population, you are missing the whole point of what being an American is. You do not understand it.
You're missing the whole point of the Constitution. You're missing the whole point of the reason for the founding of this country, the reason for this nation's existence. If you think that the proper response to 9/11 is to ratchet down freedom because of this, if you think that it's worth trading a little freedom in order for security, you must work hard to banish that thought. The exact opposite is what needs to take place here. The exact opposite is what needs to be our motivating attitude. The exact opposite is what's necessary. This nation must reaffirm its freedoms. This nation must rebuild itself, expand upon its freedoms. We cannot allow an event like this to cause us to shrink smaller within ourselves, to become fearful.
And I even said that if it were up to me, the next time and every anniversary of 9/11, we would go to work. We would not take the day off. The terrorists were able to shut this country down on 9/11. They stopped an election in New York City. They shut this country down, and Rudy Giuliani disagreed with me. He thought it would be appropriate to take a day off and have a memorial, but I thought everybody should get up and go to work that day and make sure that the world knows this is not gonna shut down the country. I want to thank you, Brian, for reminding me I'd said that. Now, it's your turn.
I' stand with Rush.

No comments:

Post a Comment